The first 200 lines.
阿 拉 伯 的 劳 伦 斯 *^^* 第35届奥斯卡(1963年) 最佳影片*^^*
警告 危险
1888-1935 T.E.劳伦斯
He was the most extraordinary man I ever knew. 他是我认识的人当中 最不平凡的一个人
Did you know him well? 你跟他很熟吗?
I knew him. 我认识他
Well, nil nisi bonum. 你要不就是跟他很熟 要不就是不认识他
But did he really deserve... 但他真的值得…
...a place in here? 你们把他葬在这里吗?
Lord Allenby, could you give a few words about Lawrence? 阿兰比大人 你能谈谈劳伦斯吗?
What, more words? 什么?还要再说啊?
The revolt in the desert... 沙漠的叛乱事件…
...played a decisive part in the Middle Eastern campaign. 在中东局势中 扮演着决定性的角色
Yes, sir, but about Colonel Lawrence himself. 是的,但我想请您 谈谈劳伦斯上校这个人
No, no. I didn't know him well, you know. 不,我跟他不熟,你知道的
Mr. Bentley, you know as much about Lawrence as anybody. 班特尼先生,你可说是最认识劳伦斯
Yes, it was my privilege to know him. 是的,能认识他…
And to make him known to the world. 跟让世人认识他,是我的荣幸
He was a poet, a scholar and a mighty warrior. 他是诗人,学者及英勇的战士
Thank you. 谢谢
He was also the most shameless exhibitionist since Barnum and Bailey. 他还是自从巴纳姆跟贝利之后 最无耻的爱现狂
You, sir. Who are you? 您是哪位?
My name is Jackson Bentley. 我是杰克森班特利
I overheard your last remark and take the gravest exception. 我听到你刚说的话 并对那提出最严重的异议
- He was a great man. - Did you know him? - 他是个伟大的人 - 你认识他吗?
No, I can't claim to have known him. 不,我不能说我认识他
I had the honour to shake his hand in Damascus. 我很荣幸在大马士革跟他握过手
Knew him? I never knew him. 认识他?我从来都不认识他
He had some minor function on my staff in Cairo. 他曾在开罗为我做些不重要工作
Michael George Hartley... 麦克乔治哈特利
...this is a nasty, dark little room. 这是个又脏又暗的小房间
That's right. 没错
We are not happy in it. 我们在这里不快乐
I am. It's better than a nasty, dark little trench. 我快乐,这要比待在 又脏又暗的的小战壕来得好
- Then you're a big noble fellow. - That's right. - 那么你是个高尚的贵族啰 - 没错
Here is William Potter with my newspaper. 威廉波特拿着我的报纸来了
- Here you are, tosh. - Thanks. - 拿去吧 - 谢谢
Would you care for one of Corporal Hartley's cigarettes? 你想来根哈特利上校的香烟吗?
- Is it there? - Of course. - 有刊登吗? - 当然有
Headlines. 头条新闻
But I bet it isn't mentioned in the Times. 我敢说泰晤士时报 一定没提这条新闻
"Bedouin tribes attack Turkish stronghold." “贝都因人攻击土耳其要塞”
I bet that no one in this headquarters even knows it happened. 我敢说连这里总部的人 都不知道这件事
Or would care if it did. Allow me to ignite your cigarette. 或者在乎这件事,我来帮你点烟
- Mr. Lawrence? - Yes. - 劳伦斯先生? - 我就是
- Flimsy, sir. - Thank you. - 您的电报 - 谢谢
You'll do that once too often. It's only flesh and blood. 你总有一次会闯祸的 只不过是血肉罢了
Michael George Hartley, you're a philosopher. 麦克乔治哈特利 你是个哲学家
And you're balmy! 你是个怪人!
- It damn well hurts! - Certainly, it hurts. - 好痛啊! - 当然会痛啰
What's the trick, then? 那么秘诀是什么?
The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts. 威廉波特 秘诀就是不要在乎会痛
By the way, if Captain Gibbon should enquire for me... 还有如果吉普森上尉要找我
...tell him I've gone for a chat with the general. 告诉他我去跟将军聊天了
- He's balmy. - He's all right. - 他是个怪人 - 他很正常
Lawrence. 劳伦斯
Yes? 什么事?
You're supposed to be... 你应该要…
Do you usually wear your cap in the mess? 你通常都是那样戴着 帽子进来这里的吗?
Always. 我一直都是这样
You should be on duty. Where are you going? 你应该在当班 你要去哪里?
Mustn't talk shop, Freddie, not in the mess. 别跟我说教 佛莱迪,这里是休息室啊
I'm going for a powwow with the general. 我要去跟将军谈一谈
I'm not asking as your superior, but as the secretary of this mess. 我不是以长官的身份问你 而是以休息室负责人身份在问你
We don't want chaps in here who should be on duty. 我们不要该在当班的人进来
Where are you going? 请告诉我,你要去哪里?
I must say, Lawrence! 我得警告你,劳伦斯!
- Sorry. - You're a clown, Lawrence. - 抱歉 - 你是个小丑,劳伦斯
Ah, well, we can't all be lion tamers. 不可能人人都是驯兽师
Sorry. 抱歉
It's an intrigue, Dryden. 真是个谜,戴登
I do not propose to let an overweening, crass lieutenant... 我不建议让一个自大愚蠢的中尉
...thumb his nose at his commander and get away with it. 对指挥官的命令不屑一顾 而且还不受到惩罚
It doesn't sound as though he'd be any great loss, sir. 听起来没有他不是任何大损失
Don't try that, Dryden. There's a principle involved. 别那么做,戴登,这是原则问题
There is, indeed. 没错
He's of no use here in Cairo. 他待在开罗一点用处都没有
He might be in Arabia. He knows his stuff, sir. 他或许该到阿拉伯去 他清楚时事,长官
Knows the books, you mean. 你是说他清楚那本书吧
I've already sent out Colonel Brighton, who's a soldier. 我已经派布莱顿上校去了 他是一位士兵
If Brighton thinks we should send some arms, we will. 如果布莱顿认为我们该出兵 我们会那么做的
Well, what more do you want? 你还需要什么?
That there would be no question of Lieutenant Lawrence... 你确定劳伦斯中尉…
...giving military advice. 不会给任何军事上的建议
By God, I should hope not. 天啊,我希望他不会那么做
It's just that the Arab Bureau would like its own man on the spot to... 只是阿拉伯局 希望有自己的人在现场…
To what? 做什么?
To make our own appraisal of the situation. 给我们作一个评估
I'll tell you, it's my considered opinion and that of my staff... 我还要告诉你 这是我跟我手下的意见
...that time spent on the Bedouin will be time wasted. 任何花在贝都因人身上的时间 都是浪费了的时间
They're a nation of sheep- stealers. 他们是一个偷羊贼的民族
They did attack Medina. 他们的确攻击了麦地纳
And the Turks made mincemeat of them. 土耳其人把他们打的粉身碎骨
We don't know that. 我们不知道这件事
We know that they didn't take it. A storm in a teacup, a sideshow. 我们知道他们没接受 那没什么,只是段小插曲
In my opinion, this whole theatre of operations is a sideshow. 如果你想听我的意见 我觉得这儿根本是个小插曲
The real war's being fought against Germans, not Turks. 真正的战争敌人是德国人 不是土耳其人
Not here, but on the Western front in the trenches. 战场不在这里而是在西线
Your Bedouin Army, or whatever it calls itself... 你的贝都因军队 不管他们是如何称呼自己
...would be a sideshow of a sideshow. 他们只不过是一段小插曲中的小配角
Big things have small beginnings, sir. 伟大的事都是 从很小的开端开始的,长官
Does the Arab Bureau want a big thing in Arabia? 阿拉伯局希望阿拉伯发生大事吗?
Does the bureau think they'll sit down under us when this war is over? 在战争结束后 他们会臣服于我们之下吗?
The bureau thinks the job of the moment, sir, is to win the war. 长官,局里认为 现在的工作是要打胜仗
Don't tell me my duty, Mr. Dryden. 别告诉我我有什么责任,戴登先生
- Lawrence, sir. - Send him in. - 劳伦斯来了,长官 - 请他进来
Good morning, sir. 早安
Salute. 敬礼
If you're insubordinate, I shall put you under arrest. 如果你要抗命,我会逮捕你的
- It's my manner. - Your what? - 是我的态度 - 你的什么?
My manner. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't. 长官,我的态度看来像是抗命 但事实上却不然
I can't make out whether you're bad- mannered or just half- witted. 我弄不清楚 你是态度恶劣或是愚蠢
- I have the same problem, sir. - Shut up. - 我也有相同的问题,长官 - 闭嘴
The Arab Bureau thinks you would be of use to them in Arabia. 阿拉伯局认为你在阿拉伯 应该会派上用场了
Why, I can't imagine. 我真想不到什么原因
You can't perform your present duties properly. 你无法完成你现在的任务
"I cannot fiddle, but I can make a great state from a little city." “我不会拉提琴,但我能让一个 小城市变成一个伟大的国家”
- What? - Themistocles, sir. - 什么? - 那是希米斯特克拉斯的话
- A Greek philosopher. - I know you've been well- educated. - 他是希腊的哲学家 - 我知道你受过高深的教育
It says so in your dossier. 你的档案上是那么说的
You're the kind of creature I can't stand, Lawrence. 你是我受不了的那种人 劳伦斯
But I suppose I could be wrong. 但我想我可能错了
All right, Dryden. You can have him for six weeks. 好了,戴丹 你可以把他带走六星期
Who knows? It might even make a man of him. Come in! 谁知道呢?或许可以把他 变成男子汉,进来!
Yes, what is it? 什么事?
The convoy will be in Port Said tomorrow night. 舰队明天晚上会到赛德港
- Is that certain? - Yes, sir. - 确定了吗? - 是的,长官
There doesn't seem to be any artillery. 看来似乎没有大炮
But there must be artillery! 但应该要有才对啊!
Sir, this is something of an expedition. 长官,他要去很远的地方
He has to get to Yenbo, find a guide, find the Arabs and then get back. 他得到阳波去找向导 找到阿拉伯人然后回来
He can't do that in six weeks. 他在六星期内是办不到的
- Two months, then. - Three. - 那么就两个月吧 - 三个月
All right, three. Now, will you let me do some work, Mr. Dryden? 好吧,三个月,好了 可以让我做点工作了吗?戴丹
Thank you, sir. 谢谢您,长官
I'd like to say, sir, that I am grateful for this. 我想说的是我很高兴 您做了这样的决定
Shut up and get out. 闭上你的嘴,快滚出去
Sir? 长官
How can I fight a bloody war without bloody artillery? 没有该死的大炮 我要怎么打赢一场战争?
- How did you do it? - Might better ask why I bothered to. - 你是怎么办到? - 你该问我干嘛这么为你费心
- Because I'm the man for the job. - I just wonder about that. - 因为我是最合适的人 - 我真不知道
Of course I am. What is the job, by the way? 我当然是啰 对了,任务内容是什么?
Find Prince Feisal. 去找费瑟王子
Good. And when I've found him? 好,找到他之后呢?
Find out what kind of a man he is. 查出他是什么样的人
Find out what his intentions are. Not his immediate intentions. 查出他有什么企图 不是立即的企图
That is Colonel Brighton's business, not yours. 那是布莱顿上校的事 不是你的事
I mean, his intentions in Arabia altogether. 我是说他在阿拉伯所有的企图
That's new. 那可新奇了
Where are they now? 他们现在在哪里?
Anywhere within 300 miles of Medina. 在麦地纳方圆三百里内
They're Hashemite Bedouins. 他们是哈希米特贝都因人
They can cross 60 miles of desert in a day. 他们可以在一天内 在沙漠中行走六十里
Thanks. This is going to be fun. 谢谢你,戴丹,这一定会很有趣
Lawrence, only two kinds of creature get fun in the desert: 劳伦斯,沙漠里只有 两种人物可以享乐
Bedouins and gods, and you're neither. Take it from me. 就是贝都因人跟神,你两者都不是 记住我的话
For ordinary men, it's a burning fiery furnace. 对普通人来说 那里像是个炙热的火炉
No, Dryden. It's going to be fun. 不,戴丹,一定会很好玩的
It is recognized that you have a funny sense of fun. 大家都认为你的幽默感很有趣
Here you may drink. 你可以在这里喝点水
One cup. 一杯就好
You do not drink? 你不喝?
No. 我不要
I'll drink when you do. 你喝我才喝
I am Bedu. 我是贝都因人
Truly, now, you are a British officer? 告诉我 你真的是英国军官吗?
Yes. 是的
From Cairo? 你来自开罗?
Yes. 对
- You did not ride from Cairo? - No. - 你不是从开罗骑骆鸵来的? - 不是
Thank heaven. It's 900 miles. I came by boat. 谢天谢地,那可有九百里远啊 我是搭船来的
And before? 之前呢?
From Britain? 英国来的?
Yes. 对
Truly? 真的吗?
From Oxfordshire. 我来自牛津夏尔
Is that a desert country? 那是沙漠地带吗?
No. A fat country. Fat people. 不,那是个富裕的国家 每个人都很富裕
You are not fat? 你不是?
No. 对
I'm different. 我不一样
Here... 好了
...take it. 拿去
First I take you to Lord Feisal, then you give it to me. 我先带你去找费瑟殿下 你再把它交给我
Take it now. 现在就拿去吧
Bedu food. 贝都因食物
Good. 很好吃
More? 还要吗?
- Bedu. - Where? - 贝都因人 - 哪里?
From here to Lord Feisal's camp is Harith country. 从这里到费瑟殿下的营地 是哈利斯国
Yes, I know. 对,我知道
- I am not Harith. - No. - 我不是哈利斯人 - 对
Hazimi, of the Beni Salem. 贝尼沙伦的哈齐尼人
Put the right foot in tight. Lock it with your left foot. 右腿靠拢,用左腿钩着
When you are ready to go... 当你准备好要走了…
...hit her on the shoulder and say, "Hut- hut- hut." 打它的肩膀说“哈,哈,哈”
Today will be difficult, but tomorrow, good riding. 今天会很辛苦 但明天的行程就轻松了
I think we reach Masturah Well tomorrow. Yes. 我想我们明天 应该能到马斯杜拉水井
And from Masturah Well to Lord Feisal's camp, one day more. 从马斯杜拉水井到费瑟殿下 的营地还要一天的路程
Now! 快!
No comments yet. Be the first to leave one.